Here is a link that will allow you to review, download and print the slides we will show and discuss at each session: IsraeliHistory
If you are interested in the plans for the library renovation click the following link for a video.
Please do NOT park in front of Village Hall. Park at the Library or across the street.
If you have a handicap sticker you can park in the south lot in back of Village hall for better access to the board room.
There was an interesting March article in the New York Times that touches on many of the issues we have been discussing. Click the link below.
On April 24 we will continue to focus on 1957-1963. We’ll discuss politics, relations with Arab neighbors, relations with the U.S., other foreign policy issues and the bomb. After that discussion we will get into the Eichmann Trial and Hannah Arendt’s controversial analysis in her book "Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil".
There was a new PBS series called the Story of the Jews that aired recently. Those who have "On Demand" can view this series any time. You can also view episodes and review some interesting information using the following links:
This PBS show was based on the new book of the same title by Simon Schama who also happens to be the narrator of the show.
Below is a list of books mentioned during our sessions:
- “The Secret War Against The Jews: How Western Espionage Betrayed the Jewish People” by John Loftus and Mark Aarons
- “A Safe Haven: Harry S. Truman and the Founding of Israel” by Allis Radosh and Ronald Rados
- "Truman" by David McCullough
- “Louis D. Brandeis: A Life” by Melvin Urofsky
- “The Prime Ministers: An Intimate Narrative of Israeli Leadership” by Yehuda Avner
- “George C. Marshall” by Forest Pogue (a 4 volume work- the most definitive biography)
- “1948: A History of the First Arab-Israeli War” by Benny Morris
- “Woodrow Wilson: A Biography” by John Milton Cooper, Jr
- “A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East” by David Fromkin
- "Constantine’s Sword: The Church and the Jews": A History by James Carroll
- "The Making of Modern Israel 1948-1967" by Leslie Stein
- "Palestine and the Arab-Israeli Conflict" by Charles D. Smith
- “Transformative Justice: Israeli Identity on Trial” by Leora Bilsky
- “In the Garden of the Beasts” by Erik Larson
- “My Promised Land - The Triumph & Tragedy of Israel” by Ari Shavit
- “The Iron Wall: Israel & The Arab World” by Avi Shlaim
- "A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide" by Samantha Power
- "The Physician" by Noah Gordon
- "Start-up Nation: the Story of Israel's Economic Miracle" by Dan Senor and Saul Singer
- "Eichmann in Jerusalem: a Report on the Banality of Evil" by Hannah Arendt